Tuesday, November 20, 2007

It's called GRATITUDE...and that's why...


This year's List Of Things To Be Thankful For

1. My Sobriety - this is my 2nd sober thanksgiving in a row. I'm thankful for that first and foremost since everything good in my life flows from that. If I'm not sober I can't show up. Instead my evil twin shows up and trashes the place.

2. My Health - Getting sober enabled me to quit smoking and STAY quit. Cigarettes and alcohol were the two most unhealthy elements in my life. Quitting enabled me to begin to monitor my diet and start working out regularly and lose 25 pounds. Woot!

3. My Job - I may complain (or more likely not mention it at all) but I have a great job, make great money, work great hours with great people. Maybe I'm not curing cancer or making a difference in the world, but my bills are paid and life ain't hard.

4. My Family - This I do complain about regularly which reminds me of the quote "Home; where we grumble the most and are treated the best." I have a very loving family. In Virginia Grandma, Grandpa, Mom, Step-Dad and Sis always get together at the holidays and while they drive me nuts at times I love them and am grateful for them. And also, of course, my Dad. I've very grateful that we got the opportunity to connect and have the great relationship we do today. Many people have no one to grumble about.

5. My Friends - My sponsor and all my AA friends, Mike, Jill and their new baby Benjamin, Lyle, Andrea and the Ronald Rd Gang, Seth & Gina, All of my work friends, all of my bloggy friends, and all the multitudes of women, past, present and future who've made and continue to make my life heavenly and hellish in various ways at various times.

6. My Location, Station and Education - Let's face it: I was lucky as all git out when God was handing out potential. I was born a white male in middle class America with some talent and opportunity for education and I wound up in the top 1% of the world's population as far as standard of living goes. I have a comfortable place to sleep and plenty of good food and water. No one is (yet) shooting or bombing me because of the color of my skin, the God I believe in or anything else. Those things aren't true for a frighteningly large percentage of the world's population.

This is just my short list but it reminds my that I have a great deal to be thankful for so happy Thanksgiving!

10 comments:

lime said...

that is a most excellent list. print it out and stick it on your desk at work and fridge at home so you can remind yourself when you need to.

happy thanksgiving my friend.

CozyMama said...

the minute i saw your "name" in my comments a week or so ago I thought of the movie....you know the one. Anyway - great post. thanks for coming by and for the well wishes. come by again - i got pics posted.

Evalinn said...

Great things to be greatful of! It´s good that u know, too many people never never notice their blessings!

I´m putting up a link to your blog now.

Anonymous said...

THAT is one Wicked Awesome Gratitude list, Bubs

YOU are shining like a SuperStar ;)

Winterswan said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!!! Great gratitude list-it is so important to remember what you have and to be grateful for those things. Looks like ya got dealt (and worked to hold onto) a pretty good hand, ay??

MsBehavn said...

Keyser, I love your list and I think you're totally awesome to be able to make those commitments and changes to your life, darlin'.

Happy Thanksgiving
xo

Zoely said...

personally? my favorite is the first item on the list. i've known you both ways and i prefer sober Keyser to the evil twin. Happy Thanksgiving.

Charlie said...

thats a great list and we forget to be thankful for so much in lives. Nice to stop and think.

Anonymous said...

Very good post, Andy!

Anonymous said...

You Yanks are always so over the top. Thank the Indians you fecked with then.

YAWN