Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Ladies & Gentlemen; Give it up for applause!


Yes, I'm an applause junky. I live for the accolades of my fellow human beings in the form of screaming, shouting and vigorous hand clapping. Talk about shallow! What can I say? I'm a show off. I always have been and likely always will be. I can't decide if it's a character defect or just part of my personality. Is it an asset to want to make people happy? To enjoy themselves, dance, get down and boogie? Or does it just make me a selfish narcissist slavishly hell bent on getting the approval of my peers at any cost? Why does this self examination stuff have to be hard? Can't I be absolved of my guilt without having to ennumerate in agonizing detail all my lifelong fuckups? Bah. I'm guilty of all seven deadly sins and have broken every commandment, OK? Isn't that enough? I know, G-d obviously knows and I've shared these facts with many people. Can't I get on with the being entirely ready to have G-d remove my defects and humbly asking him to do so already? Sheesh! 235 days.

4 comments:

lime said...

dude, i'll applaud that! wildly....standing up.....heck, i'd even do the loud whistle thing if i could.

Winterswan said...

Here's the thing-we all have gifts that we're supposed to use for the betterment of the world (at least, that's what I believe). If we enjoy what we do, that's great!!! Of course, there's the whole issue of being humble, but if we didn't want at least a little bit of approval, would we be so motivated to always be trying to be even better than we are (and doesn't being better make us able to give even more to people?). Or, should we just want to be better for the sake of the art itself? But, what is art if there is no audience? Eee Gads!!!! I don't know!!!! Just Enjoy!!!!!

S said...

oWow thats great, you're doing swell! Standing ovations over here.

HHNT Keyser

Anonymous said...

What does the phrase "give it up" have to do with applause? Give up what? Where did that phrase originate?