Friday, March 7, 2008

photo phreak


I made some changes to www.AndyT13.com - I'm hoping the headshot icons look more pro and give a better tease so people click. Please look. I uploaded a pantload more pictures of the runway shoot for Seventeen Magazine and well as some more night shots of NYC like this one. I needed an external flash with its own power supply for that shoot. I had to use too high an ISO (800) or the "sports" setting to get any light at all and stop the blurriness from them running down the freakin catwalk.

I thought it would take me a year to start bumping up against the technical limitations of my "one-step-below-professional-SLR" camera. I should have known better. It's been a month and already I'm like "Fuck, my aperture won't allow a deep enough depth of field for these large-scale low-light night shots I want to do." They won't tell you that kind of shit at the camera store LOL OK, so it was Best Buy and when I went back to buy all the accessories (like lens hood and lens adater and hot shoe flash attachment and external flash) they were like "You want WHAT now?" Clearly in the field of digital photography the overlap between technology, art and craft are overlapping in a jagged and uneven fashion at best.

3 comments:

Tequila and Tampons said...

I hate outgrowing cameras, lol. But I get so comfortable with one that it's like a security blanket and I balk at learning a new one.

S said...

OK I have two exact Canons and two exact Olympus cameras because I broke the looky window of one canon while trying to photograph a bear!
Ok then I had to get the exact one again only on sale like 40 bucks less.
THen I got the Olympus for India...I bought it December 1st, I broke it like January 12th in India! They wanted 76 bucks to fix it..so I bought the same exact one again online for only 89 bucks...those bastards.
Now I know we are not talking pro cams here...but I have now 4, lol 4!
Get out the credit card KS and upgrade so you can do your job right...I have about ......$12,000. worth of sewing machines in my house...gotta have em to do my job right.
KNow what Im saying?

ZooooM said...

Mr. Zoom bought "us" a Canon super camera that I pretty much pounced on and cried whenever he tried to use it. So a year later he bought a new Canon, one step "up" or better than "ours". The sweet husband offered to let me have the "new" camera and to take the old one for his own. I said "AWWWW, but thanks - no honey. I've spent all this time learning the one we have that I'll take that one and you can have the "new" one." I don't know what I'll do if I have to learn a new one.

Luckily, I won't have to. Because I'm just an idiot with a decent camera. I heart taking pictures, but I'm lousy at it. So it will always and forever be a hobby to me. I think if digital cameras were around when I was in high school (when I took my first photo class), my aim would have been to make a living with photography.