Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Crack is Wack


More art stuff today. Keith Haring's Mural in Harlem.
Here's the opposite side of the hand ball wall:
Of course these days I struggle with my stance on drugs. I drank beer and smoked cigarettes every day for 25 years give of take a month here and there. I've done lots of other drugs over the years. I never developed the insane obsession for them that I did with alcohol but I've seen a lot of people completely destroy their lives even to the point of death with heroin and cocaine in their various forms. Marijuana and Tobacco generally take a lot longer to mess you up physically and mentally but there's no doubt in my mind that they do even excluding cancer. Breathing is a pretty important part of life. I've always been a fan of the psychoactives but beyond very occasional use I don't recommend it and it's not for everyone. I've seen people really wig out hard although I never have. I don't know where I'm going with this. I haven't been one tenth as productive creatively in the year that I've been sober. Performance-wise it's like night and day though. I sing and play ten times better than ever before. I just wish that the channel to God through which my writing and painting flow into me was open. I never learned to open it without alcohol. Now I don't know how. Maybe I'll chew some valerian root. Any sober creative types got any ideas?

4 comments:

lime said...

ok, i don't have 1/4 the talent you have but as for stimulating creativity i think it's all about being aware. looking at things you've never looked at before but see every day.

don't beat yoruself up too much though. yousay your performance has imporved so much, i thin this year your creative energy has been directed toward staying sober, creatively avoiding the chemicals. when that is a more natural state i think creativity in the arts will also come back more naturally.

Evalinn said...

I don´t have any ideas for u, but I think if u keep looking u will find new ways. But sometimes it takes time,

Winterswan said...

Hmmm. I was never able to create amything when I was messed up and over the past few years my creative flow has been much better (since I haven't been drinking or using any other chemicals). For me it's about not forcing it too much, taking inspiration from other artists, reading, and really being open to my emotions and to my senses.

Anonymous said...

depression always helps. ;)

i don't know much about your past since i only recently starting coming by your site, so i'm not sure how drugs have played a role in your life besides what you said in this post. i do think lime is right though, in that if you've spent time and energy just trying to function without them, it's going to take time to let the creative juices kick in.

otherwise, try meditation?

for me, a dry spell of "having no time for anything creative" usually drives me into creative overtime--if that makes any sense.