Monday, September 10, 2007

Two Wolves


An old Cherokee chief is teaching his grandson about life: "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One wolf is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, self-doubt, and ego. The other wolf is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. This same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too." The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?" The old chief simply replied, "The one you feed."

Well, it was a busy weekend. What happened? I dunno. Friday I drove into the city and dropped off my babies at the doctor for their checkup. Went by the head doctor's office and took her home but we were both tired so we didn't go out. Saturday I lounged about most of the day trying to recover from my cold and finally went and got th doc. We came back to my place, watched some of a lame movie, fooled around and went to bed. Woke up early, fooled around some more, went sailing, went into the city, I played for a few hours then came home. The whole sober AND not smoking thing is, I dunno, weird.

I seem to be making some progress with medatation. I've been having some odd physical and mental feelings in that space with my higher power. Imagine the feeling of leaning back in your chair when you start to go over but without the fear or the fall. Rather like leaning out over the abyss and being held up by invisible hands. Perhaps not an apt description but as close as I can come.

Lately I've noticed that words and language are WOEFULLY inadequate for so much of the human experience. You really can't talk about Love, God, Spirit or Feelings of almost any sort in any sensible way. It's all via analogy and piss poor analogy at that! Weird. You'd think after all these centuries we'd have better ways to talk about this stuff. Hmm. Well Happy Monday.

3 comments:

lime said...

well, i am glad you are having a positive experience even if you lack the words to convey it. maybe if we had fully appropriate words we'd be able to contain him though eh? and then the awe is lost.

Winterswan said...

I hope you're feeling better! Yeah, it's hard to talk about spiritual things; oftentimes experiences can't be conveyed because the feelings we have get lost in the translation, if we can even translate at all! I'm reading a great book by Frank MacEowen, called "The Mist Filled Path". There are some fairly intense meditations in the book-spiritual journeying sh*t. Very cool. Happy Monday!

Anonymous said...

You know....I just relayed that wolf tale the other day. Used it because I couldn't find my own adequate words.