Monday, August 6, 2007

A question for the ladies

OK. You, my female friends, are probably best qualified to answer this question.

First some background.

I went to a party Saturday night and met this woman Beautiful Shrink who told me she works as a psychologist at NYU. That detail is important so remember it. She was there with a guy Andrew but I could sense there were no sparks happening there. We talked quite a bit and seemed to hit it off. She was making lots of eye contact, touching my arm, my knee. letting her foot touch my leg...definite "I like you" signs. When I walked away my friend's wife said "So are you here with someone?" and she said "Yeah but I think he's going to just be a friend." and the message was clear she was single. As an experiment I said goodbye to some friends and went to leave without saying goodbye to her. She came after me. I gave her my business card and told her to call me the next day if she was going running and I'd join her. She put it in her bra since she had no purse and I left. This sounds like a woman who is interested right? Yesterday, no call. So far today, no call. So I looked her up on the internet. How many Beautiful Shrinks at NYU? One and it's her (they have profiles and it's her picture).

The question: If I call her is it going to creep her out?

My guy friends say DON'T DO IT but if I don't I have no other way to contact her and I might miss the window of opportunity where this beautiful seemingly interested woman my age is single. In my experience a woman will NEVER be the first one to call a man. I guess if she were THAT interested she would have contrived to give me HER number but she WAS there with a date...

Is it so weird and far fetched to say (in effect) "Hey I thought you might have misplaced my card (out of your bra?) so I looked you up at work. I hope you don't mind. Anyway, how about dinner?" Also, should I wait another day or two or just go for it? My instincts say faint heart never won fair lady and I should go for it. I might be a little weirded out but I'd be flattered and she DID tell me her name, what she did and where exactly she worked. Maybe that was a hint? Look me up? Please advise.
UPDATE:
I called her and left a remarkably lucid message.
"Hi this is King Verbal calling for Beautiful Shrink.
Please give me a call when you get this.
Day & Evening Phone #'s...
Have a great day."

I hope y'all were right. More importantly I hope she calls back. I really like this girl. Whatever. It's all just a recipe for more heartbreak either way, right? Just fuckin' shoot me now.

BTW While I was looking for her I discovered something interesting. Taken as a whole the psychologists in NYC are an AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL group of women!!!!! Whoa! I can't think of any other profession that attracts that many gorgeous women except maybe stripper. Hmm.

9 comments:

Bittersweet said...

it sounds like she was interested, for sure. personally i would say .. go for it. What have you got to lose?

i would be hesitant to call a guy first and if i had given out so much personal info i would assume you could find me if you were keen. Yes, a card in a bra is easily lost.

grab that phone, baby, and good luck x

lime said...

well, i dunno what the heck to say. i guess give her a call, if she acts creeped out or says no...then you have your answer and pursue her no further. she did give plenty of info to track her down.

Snow White said...

I, myself, am hesitant to call guys. I say go for it! If she was into you, she'll be impressed that you looked her up. And if she says no, well, at least you've put an end to your wondering! That's MY 2 cents worth.

Let us know!

MG said...

glad to hear you called, that would have been my advice... ;)

keep us updated.

Joanna Cake said...

Call her. What do you have to lose? If she's no longer interested, she can tell you she's dating the guy she was at the party with!

Zoely said...

OK genius this is your subtle as a brick wall pal here, I'm a girl and I call boys ALL THE TIME, do I not???
feh, how quickly they forget.
I'm glad you called and if she doesn't call you back? She's a beautiful psychologist DOPE.

Vixen said...

Day let, dollar short...fuck. Story of my luck. LOL ;)

I was going to say to call her. I'd be more than flattered (have been in the past) to have someone do that for me.

Keep up up to date! *muah*

Winterswan said...

I'm glad you went for it! What have you got to lose??? Better to try than to not know, and she could be your besherte (meant to be), so you had to try it. Beautiful, intelligent, sounds like a great combination. Don't let Brenda screw you around anymore either; you've got to allow yourself some space from her to heal, even though it's hard.

tavolini said...

Yeah, I think it's good that you called. This way you don't have to think, "what if?"