Friday, August 17, 2007

Weasel words

I love the way people talk about sex and relationships. And by "love" I mean "hate". See? Everything is a vague euphemism. Some examples of weasel words: Going out with; dating; seeing; sleeping with. These expressions and their meanings are often obscure to say the least.

I used to have recreational sex (what I like to call "sport fucking") with a girl named Kate who agreed with me on these matters. When I jokingly suggested that "personal lubricant' really ought to be called "IMpersonal lubricant" she said, simply, "Fuck Grease". My kind of girl. Alas she was underage and over the top. She nearly broke my nose one night during a particularly intense demonstration of my linguistic cunning. Moving on...

I bring this up because of a conversation I had with my therapist last night. The one I'm "dating". I was wondering why she seemed so interested and yet was so reserved with her affections. She would hold my hand or kiss me but very demurely and dispassionately. I'm a fiery and passionate indivudual and this was starting to get on my nerves. My thinking was "OK, she's a proper Southern Belle but by the third date you know whether you want to fuck this person or not, no? Where's the heat?"

So we went sailing, went to dinner and went to my place. During the trip I learned that the therapist has some damage. "No shit" you reply "You don't say?" Yes, I do. It seems her last "boyfriend" lied about EVERYTHING. Where he worked, where he went to school, what he did, where he lived... oh boy. Can you say "Trust issues"?

Anyway, we get back to my place, I show her around, my work, my degrees (all the proof I am who I say I am for heaven's sake) and get her on the bed. So we're talking, snuggling, kissing, I'm rubbing her back, start getting her clothes off... and it comes out. "I'm still seeing the guy I was with when we met." Really? I'm, literally, shocked. Seriously.

Here I am thinking she's a proper Southern Belle and home girl is a playa! Nigga please! So now we get into language. What exactly is "Seeing" him? Dates? Dinner? Are you sleeping with him? Regularly? Exclusively? It became apparent that defining one's terms is very necessary to have this conversation. It shocking (to me) what people say, what they hear and what they actually mean. So it turns out they've been "dating" (i.e. going out to parties, dinner and such) and recenty had sex once. She has no idea if he's dating or fucking anyone else and they haven't had any conversations about exclusivity one way or the other. She went out of her way to tell me they were "safe" meaning they used a condom. I felt I had to ask what she meant! This took a lot of digging through weasely language. Note: I'm not finding fault with HER at all, just the culture and our use of these words. When I asked if she was sleeping with him she said yes. When I amended that and said "Are you actively fucking him and do you plan to again?" she said "Well it was once, recently and I dont know." I pointed out that there's a big difference between those two positions.

Does anyone disagree that there's a big difference between "I'm sleeping with this person" and "I did it with this person once, dunno about the future"? You have to ask the right questiuons the right way if you want an honest and correct answer. So I said "Well how do you think he would feel about you being here half naked on my bed?" She didn't answer because I don't think she knows. I'm thinking he wouldn't like it at all. He was very jealous of my attention to her at the party and if he knew she was "dating" me he wouldn't be pleased I dont think. I could be wrong though. He seemed like kind of a jerk to me, mainly because he was clearly trying (and failing) to cock block me from getting next to her.

So anyway, some more conversation like that and I said 'Well, you have some questions to answer now. How do you feel about this, how does HE feel about this and what are you going to do about it? So we made out some more and when she was thoroughly wet and hot she said "OK, time to take me home." and I did, without complaint. I feel like I'm making an investment here but I'm none too sure about its long and short term prospects. I guess we'll see. I have to admit I'm enjoying courting her. Everyone knows what THAT word means, right? Trying to get into her pants (and by "pants" I mean pussy). At this point in for a penny, in for a pound. Otherwise it's a total loss of three good dinners, drinks and my Oh-So-Valuable time. Plus I really want to fuck her now. I love a challenge. Whadda y'all think?

6 comments:

lime said...

oh good lord i see 'disaster' written all over this. i think she is dancing around with her words because she has a guilty conscience. and quite honestly i think she ought to be more self aware as a therapist and i think she may well suck at her job if she can't manage to be honest with herself or you. i think she is hedging her bets. i don't see any real potential here. cut your losses and run. i think if ya fuck her it's gonna open up a whole new can of worms.

fuck grease.....roflmao, i love it.

Zoely said...

Keyser, there is something for you over at my site. And by that I mean, you need to go read today's post (bottom half)...to find your personal gift.

Elaine Denning said...

It all seems like a bit of a mess to me! She hasn't moved on...isn't sure whether she wants to or not, but is loving your attention.

If you're enjoying a bit of female company then where's the harm? But if you want an exclusive relationship, I'd get the hell out or offer her an ultimatum.

Good luck :)

Unknown said...

For a challenge, it's gonna be a challenge...
And I don't mean the fuck part...
Trust issues are not the easiest to heal... and it can take you further than you may want to have a try at this... and leaving you with a few burns along the path...
But it is all up to you...
I am very concerned about the langage part of your post... True that we often take for granted that what is said is meant as we understood it... but is so often not...

All my BPD crisis were about that... because when we started to date, he was kind of asking me for exclusivity... and I walked in it willingly... taking for granted that someone who ask for is 'probably' in it too... It went as far as leaving my online chats, my mail exchanges with men... everything...
What a slap in the face when I realized I was the only one doing y part of the deal!!! My fault, isn't it? I didn't ask for nothing like that... I only thought it was the same rules for both of us... but I kept some ressentments toward all that period...and when a hard time is showing its face, this is were I run to defend myself... no matter if since, everything is now fine and perfect... it is still a little scratch that keep bleeding at some times...
Take care of yourself and make sure you know what is happening... ;-) if ever it is possible...

Joanna Cake said...

Talk about trying to blind you with science. She wants to have her cake and eat it too! Which is fine as long as you dont mind but if you're looking for a monogamous relationship, this is just wasting your time. Honesty is everything but both partners have to be sure that they are happy with the situation.

~d said...

If I am 'still seeing' a (guy) then I am still fucking him as well.
BUT, if something better comes along (no pun intended) I have been persuaded to no longer 'see' the (first mentioned) dude.
Yo.